TO EXECUTION AND BEYOND
WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK
WE ARE ATTORNEYS AND ADVISORS WHO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR WORK, LEVERAGE YOUR ASSETS, STRUCTURE THE RIGHT DEALS, AND OPERATE AT YOUR MAXIMUM POTENTIAL.
CROSS-VERTICAL TRANSACTIONS, EXPERIENTIAL AND IMMERSIVE ENTERTAINMENT, BRANDED CONTENT, CONSUMER PRODUCT LICENSING. INTEGRATED DEALS FOR RAPIDLY CHANGING INDUSTRIES.
We are business affairs advisors who assist in planning your business, leveraging your assets, and structuring the right deals.
We are fierce advocates who protect your IP and other business interests, and, as necessary, resolve disputes.
We are innovative legal counsel who understand traditional and new business models and negotiate smart transactions.
We are your general counsel who help you take advantage of your business opportunities while managing your risk.
FROM STRATEGY TO EXECUTION, WE CHAMPION YOUR SUCCESS EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. FROM DEVELOPMENT THROUGHOUT OPERATIONS, WE ARE ON YOUR TEAM.
With nearly two decades of experience as a litigator, general counselor and over-all good guy, Michael is what every business person should have – a trusted confidant, advisor, and consigliore. Michael served as General Counsel for Baja Fresh, where he managed and directed all aspects of Baja Fresh’s legal activities, including intellectual property management and protection, contract negotiations, franchise relations, leasing and litigation. Michael also served as General Counsel for a group of companies involved in the production, advertising, marketing, and sale of educational products via long-form commercials and the Internet. In that position, Michael assisted in defending the companies against a nearly half billion dollar lawsuit filed by the Federal Trade Commission. In his private practice, Michael continues to apply his general counsel expertise by providing practical and strategic guidance to owners and key executives on a wide range of business and legal issues, including contract drafting and negotiations, intellectual property, employment/labor/HR matters, regulatory issues, advertising, and licensing. As a litigator, Michael has handled myriad complex business disputes with a particular emphasis on complex contract, business fraud, real estate, partnership, employment, bankruptcy and intellectual property litigation. Michael’s combined litigation and general counsel experience provide him a unique perspective on how to avoid disputes before they happen and, when they simply cannot be avoided, how to resolve those disputes efficiently in order to reach the best possible result for his clients.
• Loyola Law School, J.D.
• University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., History
• Negotiated agreement on behalf of major restaurant chain to install restaurants in airports throughout the United States.
• Represented minority shareholder in breach of fiduciary duty action against majority shareholder of private school. Obtained multi-million dollar settlement on 8th day of trial.
• Represented restaurant owner in dispute with landlord over lack of parking and breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing. Obtained $1.8 million judgment in bifurcated judicial reference action.
• Represented dentist in arbitration over sale of dental practice and dispute regarding terms of sale. Obtained arbitration award exceeding $700,000.
• Assisted in defense of $475 million Federal Trade Commission lawsuit against educational infomercial company for alleged violations of various advertising and telemarketing sales rules.
• Represented hotel owner in successfully settling lawsuit for alleged violations of Americans With Disabilities Act relating to use of service animals at hotel.
• Assisted business owner in restructuring companies, forming new entities, drafting employee handbooks, and formalizing various policies and procedures to help streamline business operations.
A pop culture fan since birth, it was only a matter of time before Ellen found her way to Los Angeles and entertainment law. In law school, Ellen spent her summers in the LA offices of HBO and Starz, where she worked on television production deals and gained a unique perspective on practicing law in the entertainment industry. Not only did she hone her legal skills, but she took every opportunity possible to immerse herself in the business side as well. During a post-graduate fellowship at a boutique corporate firm, Ellen developed a passion for working with new media and tech start-ups on growing and building their businesses. At Nolan Heimann, Ellen brings her enthusiasm for entertainment and entrepreneurs together and works to ensure her clients’ success in a dynamic business landscape. Outside of the office, Ellen enjoys seeing live comedy and music, discovering new restaurants, reading by the pool, and of course, watching more television than anyone else she knows. She has seen Hamilton and would love to talk to you about it.
• Washington University School of Law, J.D. (Executive Editor, Washington University Law Review)
• The Ohio State University, B.A. Political Science and Communication (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
• Notable Publication: ‘The Seven Dirty Words You Should Be Allowed to Say on Television’, 92 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1353 (2015)
When you find yourself in times of trouble, Diane is the person to turn to. Seventeen years as a first chair civil litigator at the renowned Los Angeles firm Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, Diane’s litigation career has focused on representing high profile entertainment industry clients — individuals and small, mid-sized and Fortune 500 companies — in myriad complex litigation matters, including contract, copyright, trademark, privacy, unfair competition, personal, real estate and employment disputes. In addition to litigation, Diane has substantial alternative dispute resolution and neutral experience, serving as a Mediator, a superior court Temporary Judge, and an Arbitrator for the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Diane’s mediation practice focuses on intellectual property disputes, contract, real estate and employment disputes. Diane is frequently called upon to consult on or salvage cases with unusual challenges, or to provide counseling and pre-litigation advice on contract, copyright, trademark, chain of title review and analysis issues.
• Harvard Law School, J.D.
• Yale University, B.A., History and Classical Civilization
Jason’s practice at Nolan Heimann LLP focuses on transactional matters, with an emphasis on entertainment, business, finance and corporate transactions. With respect to entertainment transactions, Jason concentrates on the areas of intellectual property law, music law, and motion picture and television finance, production, distribution and talent. Jason’s principal clients include music producers, music artists, music publishers and music labels, television and motion picture production companies and producers, actors, directors, writers, entertainment financiers, modeling agencies, and other entertainment-related individuals and companies. In addition to representing Grammy nominated and award-winning talent, Jason has also served as an executive producer on a number of motion picture projects. In addition to entertainment transactions, Jason represents real estate financiers, developers and funds from the initial raise through acquisition. Jason also provides legal services on a variety of litigation matters with an emphasis on intellectual property, business and commercial disputes. Jason has extensive experience in civil litigation in state and federal courts, including jury and court trials.
Prior to joining Nolan Heimann LLP, Jason served as General Counsel and business advisor for a group of entities under the same umbrella, including Intego Capital, DryWired, Verite Cartel, Renoveau International, Endeavor International, and Anteris International. In his capacity as an advisor and General Counsel, Jason oversaw all capital investments, business development, content acquisition and licensing, operations, and legal and business affairs.
Jason founded and currently serves as a Managing Member of Lampshade Music (music branding company for hospitality and retail), Sandbox (technology company specializing in the development and implementation of mobile applications), Eleven Investment & Hospitality Group (real estate fund and hospitality operations), and, prior to its dispositions, as Managing Member of Aoide (e-card and music delivery platform) and Driven Entertainment Experience (virtual concierge technology and entertainment platform). At these companies, Jason oversees all capital investments, business development, content acquisition and licensing, operations, and legal and business affairs. As an attorney specializing in entertainment and intellectual property law, Jason provides clients and consumers of these companies with peace of mind by negotiating and securing all rights to the entertainment content and technology acquired and distributed through these companies’ products and services.
Prior to serving as Managing Member of these entities, Jason served as an attorney specializing in entertainment, finance, and corporate transactions and litigation at a Raskin, Peter, Rubin & Simon, LLP in Century City, California. Jason has served as a panelist and juror for film festivals and as a speaker at conferences discussing intellectual property rights management in music and film. Jason has one child, Hayden Asher. Jason enjoys coaching his son’s soccer and baseball teams and serving as a PTA board member.
• Villanova University School of Law, JD
• Denison University, B.A., Philosophy
Wendy Heimann-Nunes is a founding and managing partner of Nolan Heimann LLP, the only law firm featuring a practice area dedicated to location-based and immersive entertainment. Wendy’s clients run the gamut in this specialized industry and include owners, operators, developers, studios, licensors, licensees, designers, consultants, technology providers, and more. In addition to providing traditional legal counsel, Wendy provides strategic business counsel to assist her clients in the growth, monetization, and maximization of opportunities for intellectual properties, content, brands, developments, and technologies. Entertainment and business united for Wendy right from the start in her early role as Executive Director of the renowned landmark, The Chicago Theatre, and her associated work in assisting the city’s efforts to revitalize its North Loop. And, it was in the windy city where the former talent agent began her legal career with the international law firm Mayer Brown after graduating from The University of Chicago Law School. Wendy went on to serve as an executive at Universal Studios, heading up Business and Legal Affairs for Universal Creative, the division responsible for the concept, design and development of all domestic and international theme parks, resorts and attractions. Prior to co-founding Nolan Heimann, Wendy chaired the immersive and location-based entertainment department of the law firm Zuber, Lawler & Del Duca. She is an active member and pro-bono counsel of the Themed Entertainment Association and has sat on several advisory boards, including the Board of Advisors of Immersive Tech, a nonprofit committed to supporting the development and adoption of immersive experiential technology. In addition to her dedication to immersive entertainment, Wendy is a passionate drummer. Her LA-based band, Crinoline, plays throughout Southern California with an occasional jaunt to Vegas. A Doors fan, Wendy often quotes Jim Morrison: “The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are.” She applies that philosophy to all aspects of her professional and personal life and always encourages her clients to do the same.
• University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
• Northwestern University, B.S., Communications
• City of London Polytechnic, Television and Film
• Negotiated license agreement on behalf of multi-billion dollar international developer for first 20th Century Fox Studios theme park in the world.
• Led landmark theater in structuring and negotiating long-term theatrical lease with Walt Disney Theatricals, including securing multi-million dollar capital improvement commitment.
• Negotiated employment agreement on behalf of entertainment executive for leadership of developer’s creative team for Universal Studios Singapore at Resorts World Sentosa.
• Assisted in structuring joint venture with Seraphim, Clive Barker’s production company, for development of cross-platform opportunities based on new intellectual properties.
• Negotiated agreement on behalf of international developer for development of Marvel Studios family entertainment centers throughout India.
• Assisted various intellectual property owners in negotiating and structuring roll-out of IP’s in location-based entertainment vertical.
• Drafted and negotiated numerous multi-million dollar service and purchase agreements on behalf of creative and technical companies for deals throughout North America, Europe, Asia and UAE.
• Assisted Chinese developer in negotiating license agreement with Paramount Studios for development of Paramount Gateway projects in China.
Outside of family, work and play, Christine’s committed to organizations that support women and families and people of color, and to legal and industry initiatives that advance intellectual property and consumer technologies. She’s Vice Chair, Board of Directors, of the I Have a Dream Foundation – Los Angeles, and Faculty Advisor to the Women’s In-House Counsel Leadership Institute. She served as Moderator, Digital Hollywood, Women in the Industry: Developing Film, Television & OTT About Women – A Golden Age in Hollywood and Indie Production (May 2018) and for the Women’s In-House Counsel Leadership Institute Financial Acumen Webinar (March 2017), and was Co-Host and Moderator for the Women’s In-House Counsel Leadership Institute Project 20/35, Disruptive Technologies Workshop (September 2017). She’s also a Co-Author of “Harmonize Your Trade Secret Protection to Protect Your Assets”, ACC Docket (December 2017). She was Presenting Speaker, USC Law Black Law Students Association Annual Alumni Banquet (2017); Chairperson, USC Law Reunion Committee (2010), is a member of the USC Law Intellectual Property Institute Planning Committee (2016 – Present) and the USC Law African American Admitted Students Committee (2016 – Present), and was a Curriculum Advisor and Lecturer for the USC Law Entertainment Law Program (2009 – 2013). She’s a member of the 2020 Women on Boards Los Angeles Planning Committee (2016 – Present) and the Association of Corporate Counsel Diversity and IP Committees (2016 – Present). At NBCU she was Hub Co-Leader, Women’s Network @ NBCUniversal Los Angeles (2010) and Co-Chair, West Coast Regional Legal Conference on Women & Diversity )2009).
• University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D.
• University of Delaware, B.A., Communications; Minor in French
• Launched video streaming and download businesses, adding ~$40M incremental revenue and forging relationships with Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, Microsoft Xbox, and Sony PlayStation.
• Negotiated and administered ~300 digital platform licensing deals annually, each with term value of ~$5M+ to ~$10M+.
• Optimized acquisition and distribution terms for home entertainment releases of multi-billion-dollar franchises, including Hunger Games, Twilight and Shrek.
• Developed relationships with Technicolor, Deluxe, Akamai, Vubiquity, Unreal, Sapient Nitro and Neustar to accelerate product development, delivery and revenue objectives, and reduce costs.
• Structured and negotiated a major motion picture studio’s first-ever immersive media development, production and distribution agreement.
• Set up lean BA infrastructure for a start-up’s on-time delivery of revenue objectives.
• Business affairs lead for technology and business model innovations for platforms and devices, including SVOD, VOD, digital lockers, 4K, AR, MR, and VR.
• Structured multi-million-dollar partnerships with global brands, including P&G, McDonald’s, Kraft, Mattel, Sony, Samsung, HP, and Wal-Mart.
Mishawn is passionate about helping innovators and entrepreneurs strategically leverage their assets. Having been a dancer and choreographer before becoming an attorney, she has a particular affinity for creatives. Even then her leadership and problem solving skills were evident and she was called upon to produce live events. Her ability to understand the needs and concerns of both the creative and business sides of the equation has led to effective deals being struck and projects moving forward. Mishawn believes that makers need the freedom to do what they do best and should have a strong, dynamic team to support their growth. She excels at leading that team. Mishawn has extensive experience working with the complex blending of corporate, entertainment, technology, and intellectual property challenges that exist where Hollywood, Madison Avenue and Silicon Valley converge. Mishawn was the co-chair of the Entertainment, Intellectual Property and New Media section of the San Fernando Valley Bar Association from 2005 – 2011.
• Pepperdine Law School, J.D.
• UCLA, B.A., Political Science
• Oxford University, International Politics
Cindy has close to 20 years of experience as a general corporate transactional attorney, specializing in licensing, entertainment, and technology. Her clients have included production companies, fashion designers, restaurants, entertainment entities, a consumer products division of a multi-billion dollar entertainment company, and a sports management firm. Cindy has a keen business sense – senior level executives trust her with myriad business and legal issues. Among other things, Cindy has drafted and negotiated countless complex licensing, production, distribution, technology, consulting, development, rights acquisition, marketing, promotional, termination, settlement, product placement, domestic and international merchandise, promotional, home video, and publishing agreements. She has worked at or for major players in their respective fields, including companies such as The Walt Disney Company, Fox Family (now ABC Family), American Golf Corporation, DIRECTV, California Pizza Kitchen, and Pinkberry. In addition to practicing law, Cindy is passionate about travel and hiking. She has visited over 30 countries, having climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, trekked from Mollepata to Machu Picchu, and trekked from Lukla to Mt. Everest Base Camp. She also has been involved in politics for over 20 years – including working as an Advance Associate for the White House and as an Advance Associate for five Presidential campaigns.
• Southwestern Law School, J.D. (Cum Laude)
• University of Pittsburgh, B.A. Political Science and English Writing (dual)
• Negotiated numerous high profile and high dollar domestic and international licensing agreements for The Walt Disney Company with licensees from a variety of lines of business.
• Drafted complex distribution and production agreements for DIRECTV’s Audience Network.
• Assisted well known restaurant clients with franchisee relations, structuring promotional campaigns, and papering deals with a host of loyalty, POS, and digital gifting and marketing program providers.
• Managed a wide variety of legal matters for a new apparel company backed by an industry leader.
• Aided in the transition of a robust intellectual property portfolio and licensing business to a multibillion dollar entertainment conglomerate.
• Drafted unique sponsorship and partnership agreements, including for an apparel line developed in conjunction with a former Olympic athlete.
David is a lawyer and business executive with over 15 years of experience specializing in intellectual property, licensing, and contract negotiations. With a proven track record of developing creative and pragmatic solutions that align business needs with legal and regulatory requirements, he helps his clients protect and monetize their copyrights and trademarks and efficiently resolve day-to-day legal issues. David has filed over 300 trademark registrations in the U.S. and overseas and has negotiated and drafted hundreds of business agreements with service providers, manufacturers, distributors, vendors, and other business partners. David’s clients include, among others, software developers, consumer products companies, creative artists, fashion designers, and manufacturers. Recognizing the increasing need for companies in the cannabis industry to protect their brands, David has worked with growers, distributors, and service providers to understand the complicated federal and state registration system and to obtain registrations for their trademarks. David has also helped Amazon sellers through the complicated process of protecting their trademarks on the Amazon marketplace and successfully gating their brand from unauthorized sellers. In addition to legal work, David understands the nuances of business development and strategy, having developed a multi-million-dollar licensed apparel division from scratch. David spent the first 10 years of his career at Sedgwick LLP before resigning his partnership to join a $100 million-a-year apparel company as General Counsel. In that role, he managed the company’s global intellectual property portfolio, combated counterfeiting and discounters, negotiated and drafted leases, software service agreements, and other contracts, and advised on employment issues, while also working with the executive team to plan and implement the company’s strategy. David is a passionate soccer fan and L.A. Galaxy supporter. In fact, he is the Regional Commissioner for Region 58 of the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) in the Van Nuys Sherman Oaks Park. He is also the former Chair of the Editorial Board of Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine.
• University of California Hastings College of the Law, J.D.
• University of California, Berkeley, B.A. Rhetoric
• Negotiated a multi-million dollar licensing deal with The Walt Disney Company for a high-end line of specialty apparel.
• Negotiated and drafted outbound licensing and promotional endorsement agreements for a global health and fitness celebrity.
• Managed global trademark portfolios for apparel, consumer product, and interactive entertainment companies.
• Successfully led enforcement efforts for a retail consumer product company whose items were being counterfeited on Amazon.com,, ultimately leading to their brand being gated by Amazon.
• Obtained federal trademark registration for multiple brands related to the cannabis industry.
• Developed an industry-leading product safety program to ensure global compliance and protect an apparel company from product liability litigation, Prop 65 claims, and government investigation.
WE ACT AS GENERAL COUNSEL TO INFLUENCERS AND BUSINESSES WITH CREATIVE AND INNOVATIVE ASSETS. WE BUILD RELATIONSHIPS, RESOLVE DISPUTES, DOCUMENT DEALS, AND MOTIVATE GROWTH.
We identify, build and protect your copyright, trademark, and trade secret assets. We can help you create and exploit new IP or seek new revenue streams for existing IP. We resolve disputes and provide practical, cost-effective solutions for everyday IP management.
We assist clients at all stages of the business cycle, from professionalizing emerging companies, strategizing growth to executing exit plans. We negotiate complex transactional and operational matters and provide general corporate advisory services on day-to-day business.
We are the only law firm featuring a group dedicated to the unique needs of the Immersive and Location-Based Entertainment industry. We represent designers, developers, engineers, theme parks, museums, venues, technologists, studios, and content providers.
We provide advisory services to fully monetize IP assets. With unparalleled real-world experience across multiple IP businesses, we guide you from concept to execution. With sharp, focused business insights, actionable plans, and an unmatched professional global, multi-industry network, we unlock unrealized IP value.
From concept through distribution, we assist clients in launching and marketing products and services. Through a variety of distribution and exploitation models, we help clients grow brands and develop business strategies to leverage their assets and achieve their business objectives.
We have deep experience in the traditional and emerging entertainment space. From development through distribution, we consistently structure deals that optimize potential revenue streams. Our team excels where entertainment converges with technology and licensing.
IF YOU'RE READY TO WORK WITH SMART AND ENGAGED ATTORNEYS WHO WILL ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BACK, LET'S TALK.
Copyright © 2013 - 2018 Nolan Heimann LLP. All rights reserved. The trademarks, logos, and service marks not owned by Nolan Heimann LLP and that are displayed on this site are the registered and unregistered marks of their respective owners